This training is an introduction to the essentials of safeguarding and child protection for all workers in the health sector. You will gain confidence understanding the impact of child abuse and neglect, knowing what you can do to help prevent it happening and what to do when you are worried about a child or young person. We will also work together to gain confidence in having those difficult conversations with young people and the whānau you work with. This knowledge is essential for everyone who works with our tamariki and rangatahi. You will also learn how to protect your workplace’s reputational risk profile. Our courses have been attended by thousands of people around Aotearoa New Zealand.
We can also do bespoke training for your organisation.
What will I learn?
- How prevalent child abuse and neglect is in New Zealand.
- How to recognise and confidently respond to signs of abuse and neglect.
- How to handle disclosures of abuse and neglect.
- The vital role that Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy play in keeping children safe.
- Understanding and navigating the challenges which may impede helping a child.
- Relevant legislation and guidance established to protect children.
- How to effectively share information to keep children and young people safe.
- Guidance on having those difficult conversations with young people and whānau.
- Scenario based learning activities to share knowledge and experiences.
Who is this course for?
Anyone who works directly or indirectly with children or young families in either a professional or volunteer capacity within the health care sector. Health care workers who have found this course beneficial include (but is not limited to):
- Volunteers e.g. St Johns and hospital volunteers
- Students studying in the health sector
Format: PowerPoint presentation with group work activities and discussion
Delivery: Webinar (virtual) or Seminar (face to face)
Duration: Webinar 3 hours, Seminar 3.5 hours (both with short break and Q&A’s included)
Certificate: Certificate issued via email upon completion of course
Price (incl. GST):
Public: Webinar $60pp, Seminar $110pp Check availability
In-house: Contact us for a price for your organisation
“This was one of the best webinars that I have ever attended: full of relevant information. The webinar was a good mix of videos and speakers to keep the attention of the viewers.”
“It is vital for the information around safeguarding children to be dissipated to many organisations / services. The presentation was structured and easy to understand. A wide source of information was given but enough for attendees to absorb and understand.”
“I personally found the training and information really helpful, insightful and practical. Having lived through most of these experiences, this programme really covered those topics in detail, and practical solutions and tools that were suggested really helps me with moving forward in this type of mahi.”