Does your club or organisation have young people as junior coaches for children? Youth coaches need to ensure they are working in a safe and appropriate way with children and understand their responsibilities to respond to concerns for child safety. Youth coaches do not have the same responsibilities as adults in recognising and responding to child abuse or neglect. This course will ensure they learn what is relevant for them. Likely scenarios will be worked through and discussed in small groups to embed the learning in a practical way. The content is specifically designed for the 13-20 year old age group.
What will I learn?
- Introduction to some of the signs of abuse and neglect for children.
- What they should do if a child discloses abuse to them.
- What they should do if they are worried about an adult or fellow youth coach’s behaviour.
- What are the guidelines for appropriate and safe behaviour when working with children.
- What difficulties and practical issues they may face in applying the above.
Who is this course for?
The content is specifically designed for the 13-20 year old age group.
This course will be run for a minimum group of 15 youth leaders (can be from multiple organisations) who need to be in one room together with an adult from the organisation to support them. The safeguarding consultant will either be in the room in person or via Zoom link and will facilitate the session including answering any questions and providing guidance on the scenario work.
Format: PowerPoint presentation with small group work activities and discussion
Delivery: Webinar (virtual) or Seminar (face to face)
Duration: 1.5 hours (with short break and Q&A’s included)
Certificate: Certificate issued via email upon completion of course
Price: Contact us for a price for your organisation