This course is your starting point on your safeguarding and child protection learning journey. It also serves as a good refresher for an introduction to the essentials of safeguarding and child protection.
You will gain an understanding of the impact of child abuse and neglect, along with the knowledge of what you can do to prevent and minimise the risk of harm to our tamariki (children).
You will gain confidence in the actions you need to take when you are worried about tamariki. This knowledge is essential for everyone who comes into contact with tamariki and rangatahi (young people) through work, voluntary or leisure activities.
What will I learn?
- How prevalent child abuse and neglect is in New Zealand.
- How to recognise and confidently respond to signs of abuse and neglect.
- The vital role Safeguarding and Child Protection Policies play in keeping children safe.
- To understand and navigate the challenges which may impede helping a child.
- Relevant legislation and guidance established to protect children.
Who is this course for?
Anyone who works directly or indirectly with children or young families in either a professional or volunteer capacity. Sectors which have found this course beneficial include (but is not limited to):
- Healthcare – doctors, nurses, therapists, health care assistants etc
- Social service providers
- Plunket and Tamariki Ora nurses
- Family/whānau services
- Family violence and sexual violence services
- Youth services and mentors
COURSE ACCESS: 30 days
Group training and content warning: It is not recommended to complete this eLearning in a group environment as some course content may be triggering for individuals who may have experienced childhood trauma. We recommend wearing headphones. To ensure your wellbeing, trigger warnings are given throughout our course with support guidance provided.